Online MPH programs are a relatively new academic development. This means that there are no reputable rankings for online master’s in public health programs (although U.S. News & World Report is in the process of gathering data for 2013 online education rankings). When looking for an online MPH degree, one place to start is with the list of top traditional programs. Many of the top schools of public health have established online degree programs that contain course content similar to their traditional programs. The sampling of online programs listed below shows the variety of online public health degrees available.
Featured Online Healthcare Programs
|MPH@Simmons||MPH@Simmons, the online Master of Public Health from Simmons College, is designed to give you the real-world skills you need to address health inequity on a local, national, and global level.|
|MPH@GW||An innovative online Master of Public Health program offered by the top-ranked Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University.|
|MHA@GW||Offered by the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University, this online Executive Master of Health Administration program is designed for healthcare professionals who aspire to become leaders in their field.|
Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health. The Bloomberg School of Public Health is currently ranked as the top graduate school for public health education by U.S. News & World Report. The school offers a part-time option for its MPH program and allows up to 80 percent of the coursework to be completed online. The remaining 20 percent of the degree must be earned on site in full-time courses at the university’s Baltimore campus or through condensed courses offered in the summer and winter in Baltimore and Washington, D.C., and during the fall in Barcelona, Spain.
University of North Carolina Gillings School of Global Public Health. Ranked second in the nation for public health graduate studies by U.S. News & World Report, the Gillings School is another early adopter of the online MPH degree. The Gillings School executive MPH program is aimed at working, mid-career professionals and is conducted primarily online. The program requires two years for completion and includes three on-campus residences each year, with each on-campus session lasting four to six days. The Gillings School also offers online certificate programs in public health covering disaster management, global health, field epidemiology and other public health topics.
University of Massachusetts Amherst School of Public Health. The UMass MPH in public health practice is the nation’s oldest 100 percent online MPH program. Many faculty members have more than 10 years experience in an online education environment. Courses are offered year round to allow health professionals to complete an MPH degree in three years or less without interrupting their careers, and there is no residency requirement for the degree. The public health practice curriculum takes a broad-based approach to public health topics and covers the core public health topics and disciplines.
Benedictine University. Founded in 1887 in Chicago, this Roman Catholic university was ranked by Forbes magazine in the top 20 percent of U.S. colleges for 2011. Benedictine’s MPH degree can be completed 100 percent online, with the exception of a required internship that is coordinated though local agencies. According to the university, the online MPH takes a generalist approach that may be applied to a wide range of population-based health issues. The school also offers public health certificates that can be earned online with or without applying for the MPH program. Certificate topics include health management, disaster management and health education.
Creighton University. Founded in 1878 in Omaha, Neb., Creighton is a Jesuit university that offers an MPH online through its Center for Health Politics and Ethics. The degree can be completed entirely online and has no residency requirements. Students have the option of choosing a concentration in health policy and ethics or public health services administration. The MPH program can be completed in about two and a half years.